Dec 11, 2009

i ♥ faces: fix-it Friday #39

Here are my edits for the fix-it photo this week at i ♥ faces.

 

Fix-it Friday #39                                                                                                   Here’s the original photo.

    

                                                                                                          Fix-it Friday #39, version 1

                                                                                                                         Here’s my first fix.

                                            Fix-it Friday #39, version 1                                                 This was my original first fix, thanks to Laura for suggesting it might be too sharp.

The first thing I did was to open the picture as a camera RAW file in PSE7 and adjust the exposure and brightness until I found something I liked. Then I cropped the photo to a 5x7 to get closer to the action. Next I added a Soft light filter on the entire picture to make it more vibrant. I also added  a High pass filter around the cowboy and steer only. My next stop was to burn and dodge. I burned around the edges and background and dodged the cowboy and steer to make them stand out more. And of course, I sharpened the photo using the Unsharp mask.

Fix-it Friday #39, version 2                                                                                                                 Here’s my second fix.

It's the same photo with all the changes from above, the only difference is I added a selective Gaussian Blur filter over everything except the cowboy and steer.  I like the way this fix puts the focus on the cowboy and steer and adds to the sense of motion.

Fix-it Friday #39, version 4                                                                                                                      Here’s my third fix.

Fix-it Friday 339, version 2                                                       This was my original third fix, thanks to Danielle for suggesting I remove more texture.

Time for some texture! I’m not sure if I like this fix or not. Again, it’s the same as the first fix, but this time I added some texture.  I used a photo I had taken of some rough wood and layered it over the original photo and reduced the layer opacity.  I then used the erase tool at about 30% strength to highlight the subject of the picture.

Fix-it Friday #39, version 3                                                                                                        Here’s my fourth fix.

I think this fix is my favorite. I love the gritty and old feel to it. It is also the same as my first fix, except I added a Sepia filter and again used the wood texture. In this photo I erased the texture so it kind of bordered the photo. I also reduced the opacity of the texture layer. I also used the burn and dodge tools to further emphasize the cowboy and steer.

                                                                                               Which fix do you like the best?

FacesFixIt

                                                                                             Click on the above image to see more great fixes!

 

909B667600F82F4C0CB84E9E0E4304ED

15 comments:

Anonymous December 11, 2009 at 2:01 PM  

I like the last one. Great job!

Laura December 11, 2009 at 3:01 PM  

I like the last one. The first feels a little too sharp for my taste.

Danielle December 11, 2009 at 3:30 PM  

i love the 2nd edit, and i would really like the 3rd if you masked off the texture the way you did in the b&w. nicely done!

Mamí♥Picture December 11, 2009 at 4:12 PM  

Awesome texture!!
Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Anonymous December 11, 2009 at 5:23 PM  

hey i like those pictures

Unknown December 11, 2009 at 6:42 PM  

I like the one that focuses on the cowboy!! Cool pictures!!

Unknown December 11, 2009 at 7:05 PM  

How did you do that? It is pretty amazing!!

Unknown December 11, 2009 at 7:06 PM  

Did you take those at the Manawa Rodeo?

Killara girl December 11, 2009 at 9:23 PM  

Yep I agree, I really like the browns because he's getting really dirty.

Farmgirl December 11, 2009 at 9:36 PM  

Hey Katie, nope, the picture isn't from the Manawa Rodeo. Someone else took it, I'm just trying to make it look better.
I used my Photoshop program.

Danielle December 11, 2009 at 10:06 PM  

love the changes you made! now number "3" is definately my favorite

Stylist A December 11, 2009 at 10:12 PM  

Absolutely love the last edit! What a wonderful job!

Happy Friday! Have a wonderful weekend.

Unknown December 12, 2009 at 7:46 PM  

Oh, i didn't realize that!! They are still cool. I like the texture thing.

Unknown December 13, 2009 at 8:07 AM  

The last one is my favorite!!

Killara girl December 15, 2009 at 7:36 PM  

those are great... I used that blur too, i think it works well with this photo

About Me

My photo
I love God, my family, spending time with my friends, reading a good book, riding my horses, showing my cows, walking in the grass with my bare feet, watching a sunset or sunrise, listening to birds chirp and the wind blow, a good nap, taking pictures, corn on the cob, a cold glass of milk, quiet time, laughing, singing really loud just to annoy my brothers, playing with photoshop, the fair, ripe tomatoes with lots of salt and pepper, playing with my kitten, and just enjoying life.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP